Chalk vase Kolayat
Chalk vase Kolayat
- Afmetingen & specificaties
This vase is made from a mix of paper mache and crushed limestone. Combine the vase with the other items from this collection.
The vases are made from an eco mix which consists of old newspapers, crushed limestone & natural tree resin in different percentages.
The process of how the base material is made:
1. Old newspapers are first soaked in water
2. The wet newspapers go through a machine and smashed into pulp
3. The pulp is mixed with crushed limestone
4. Natural tree resin functions as the adhesive.
5. Resin crystals are melted in warm water and the liquid substance is added in the mix
6. Pulp, chalk & resin are mixed and pushed through an avegar
7. We then have the right substance and consistency, our base material.
From base material to final design:
1. Blocks of clay are pounded with a wooden mallet into sheets
2. The clay sheet is laid into a mould and pressed into the sides
3. Two half moulds are closed together, wrapped with a plastic band
4. From the inside extra clay is pushed into the connecting joints
5. The mould is left for 1-2 days drying in the air
6. The mould is opened and excess clay is cut off & small holes are filled by hand
7. The model is now further left to dry for another 3-5 days in the open air
8. Finally it is sprayed with a sealer so no colour comes off when handling
The full process consists of only 2 important items: the use of natural materials & skilled labour, exactly the 2 things Raw Materials loves the most! Any new design is firstly made in plaster of Paris. This goes into a block of gips. This is cut in half and these are the 2 moulds. Gips moulds can only be used 10 to 12 times.
Apart from dusting with a dry cloth, no maintenance is needed.
Please note that the items from this collection are not waterproof.